Fellowship for Undergraduate, Graduate, and Professional Students
The 2015-2016 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship competition has been cancelled.
The Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship has the goal of awarding fellowships to students pursuing a course of study which requires advanced foreign language training, and who plan to use the training for graduate studies or a career in an international field. The number of fellowships vary year-by-year. See our main FLAS Fellowship and FAQ pages for additional information regarding eligibility, requirements, etc.
The competition has been cancelled.
The FLAS Fellowship will be awarded to full-time* students attending The Ohio State University in a degree-granting program. Criteria for consideration include:
- being admitted to an Ohio State program;
- being a U.S. citizen or permanent resident; and
- having attained intermediate level or higher proficiency in the proposed language of study (though native fluency will disqualify the applicant).
*Full-time for fellows is 6 credit hours during Summer term and 12 graded credit hours per term during the academic year.
The FLAS Fellowship Competition no longer accepts paper applications. All application materials will be submitted via Carmen, with the exception of official transcripts and letters of recommendation. Once in Carmen, students will be able to upload application files into the dropbox. The Carmen application window will open mid-November.
- Log into Carmen (If you are not currently enrolled at OSU, please notify MESC staff.)
- Click on the "Join" link in the top navigation bar (next to Calendar)
- Read JOIN Instructions and click on "Join" link
- Select "MESC FLAS Fellowship Competition"
- Fill in Registration information
- The application will appear in your courses under the Ongoing category – scroll to the bottom of the page
- Application submission instructions are in the Content section
A complete fellowship application package consists of:
- Submission of Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by OSU's priority processing deadline;
- Completed Application Form;
- Official up-to-date transcript(s);
- One-page, single-spaced Statement of Intent;
- Three letters of reference; and
- Completed Study Abroad/Domestic Non-OSU form.
- If you are planning to go abroad, the Office of Study Abroad requires a separate application.
- Incomplete Applications will not be considered.
Selection and Notification
Fellowship award notifications will be sent no later than April 1st.
For eligibility and/or technical questions contact MESC staff.