- OSU's Department of History eHistory portal- this site provides background information, teaching tools, and primary sources linked to a wide variety of topics.
- Text Analysis Portal for Research- this text analysis tool allows you to search texts - your own or on the web - for specific words, and provides a statistical analysis.
- CIA World Factbook
- Project Gutenberg Online Book Catalog- this catalog provides access and allows you to search for full-text versions of literature in the public domain.
- Middle East & Islamic Studies at Columbia University- provides bibliographies, maps, and libraries with major Middle East collections and news sources.
- Perry-Castaneda Map Collection at the University of Texas
On Middle Eastern Peoples and Cultures:
- Publications of the Biblioteca Alexandrina (the new Library of Alexandria)
- Iranian Cultural & Information Center.
- more on Iranian Culture
- Jewish Virtual Library- This site on Zionism provides an overview of origins of the modern state of Israel
- The Turkish Embassy (English version) web site gives an overview of Turkish culture through visual traditions, arts and crafts, and literature
- Turkish tutor online provides a view into Turkish popular culture and a basic introduction to Turkish language through the popular Turkish TV show, BİZİMKİLER
- The official web site of the Kurdish regional government in Iraq provides an introduction (click on Kurdish culture on the right-hand side).
Global Voices Online: https://globalvoices.org/-/world/middle-east-north-africa/
- Article regarding the Sunni/Shi'i divide
- Review of the book "Islamic Imperialism: A History"
- Review of "Journeys to the Other Shore: Muslim and Western Travelers in Search of Knowledge"
- Maps of the Islamic Middle East from Princeton University
- Islamicity Qur'an search on line
On the History of the Middle East:
- Middle East History- this comprehensive resource created by the department of History at OSU provides maps, timelines, biographies and key information in an integrated fashion.
- Primary Sources related to key developments in Middle East History
- Archnet Digital Library - provides images, publication information and references on architecture from around the world.
- One reference provided is the Dictionary of Islamic Architecture.
- The WADE Photo Archive - provides images of patterns in Islamic art from diverse parts of the Islamic World (Morocco to India). Citations are included for each image giving basic information; i.e., what, where, and type of pattern.
- The Middle East Outreach Council has an online gallery of images submitted by its members which are a part of the creative commons. Photos are free for classroom use, but are not allowed to be used in derivative works.
- Mideast images from ARAMCO Magazine (need to request permission):
- Description de L'Egypte, Texts and Documents from Napoleon's conquest on line
- "The Burning of the Library of Alexandria" Regarding the destruction of the Library of Alexandria
- Web site for the new Library of Alexandria
OSU-only on line resources:
These research tools and references are available directly on line to those with OSU usernames and passwords. They can be accessed from home by signing in on the OSU Libraries home page (go to "Off-campus Sign-in").